Friday 15 March 2013

What has happened to our health service?

Over the last few years, many stories have come to light about corrupt GPs and doctors allegedly sexually assaulting their patients. Each time stories surrounding this topic come up in the news it never fails to confirm in my mind that the government need to consider an urgent reform of the NHS, how can we trust our doctors and GPs when we constantly hear about terrible things happening to patients behind closed doors?

I have decided to talk about this topic today because I have recently read about a GP named Davinderjit Bains has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting patients and filming it with a camera hidden inside his wrist watch, the age of the victims ranged between 14 and 51. Bains pleaded guilty to 39 separate counts of the same offence.

This just makes my skin crawl every time! to think that girls my age were going to see this man and telling him about their illnesses in confidence and then being sexually assaulted, like I said at the beginning our once trust health service is writhe with corrupt and disgusting creatures like this man. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that every GP is corrupt and sexually assaults their patients because my GP is really friendly and I know that I can tell him everything in confidence but people like Bains give GPs and the NHS an extremely bad name which is why I feel that there should be a full scale investigation in to the conduct of certain GPs and those who are found guilty of partaking in such a disgusting crime should be weeded out and jailed for as long as the courts see fit.

I’m pretty confident that if that was to happen and there was a full scale referendum that people would start to trust the NHS once more. According to the article on BBC News, the hospital that Bains was working at have written a letter of apology to all of his former patients and set up a help line to allow victims of Bains’ crimes to come forward and talk about their awful experience. I honestly don’t think that a letter of apology and a helpline is enough, to be honest, no matter what the hospital does the memory of the experience will never fade from Bain’s victims minds and I’m sure they are going to feel very let down and traumatised for the rest of their lives! Granted, there isn’t much more that the hospital can do apart from offer counselling and so forth but this whole thing could’ve been avoided if the NHS had looked into the background of Bain’s properly and had been more careful when thinking about employing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment