Saturday 7 September 2013

Are British soap opera’s becoming too predictable?

Britain has become famous for many things throughout the years and one of those things is the good old British soap. All families love to gather round the telly in the evenings and watch the latest scandals and tragedies unfold on Eastenders or Coronation Street. Soap opera’s have been around for years and are a great way to get the family together!

It has also been known that some storylines in soaps have helped viewers resolve their problems and sometimes even recognise the symptoms of an illness they never knew they had in the first place! Who knew programmes on the telly could be so useful?! However, as good as programmes like Eastenders are, I feel that they are becoming a little too predictable.

For example, during one of the recent episodes of Eastenders, as soon as Phil and Carl got into the car and started to argue, I knew there was going to be a car crash. I think the reason why soaps are becoming so predictable is because they are basically running the same angle again and again! I have seen so many car crashes, fires and killing during my time of watching soaps that it is very easy to predict when they are going to happen!

I know it’s sometimes hard to come up with different ways of “killing off” characters but come on, why can’t they come up with a more inventive way of doing it? How about having just scripting them in to walk away like a normal person would do, I know it would be boring so wouldn’t really fit the image of a soap but at least it’s somewhat new! Or if the writers are dead set on having the characters die in some horrific way, why not have them drowned or buried alive? And if that’s not gruesome enough why not have the character cut up with a chainsaw! It may be hard to watch but at least we haven’t seen it happen a million times over, in fact, we haven’t seen any of those ideas played out on any soap ever as far as I know!

With these ideas, you might have people writing in to complain about the episode giving their child who is 10 years old nightmares, well I’m not being funny but a 10 year old shouldn’t have been watching soaps in the first place! That’s why they are put on quite late, the younger kids should be in bed!

Having said all of this, I sure hope the producers of Corrie and Eastenders don’t read this article and use the chainsaw idea otherwise even I will have nightmares! I wouldn’t be able to sleep for a month! Leave your comments below and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment