Thursday 5 September 2013

I have a solution to prevent the constant fire station closures around the UK

About a year or so ago, I wrote a post on here giving my opinion on the fire station closures that were happening in London and around the UK because the government does not have enough money to fund the firefighters.

I was walking my dog the other day (as you do) and was thinking about all of these closures and what a negative effect it has and will continue to have on the British public. Then it hit me, there is a very simple solution to stop these closures from happening! In America, the majority of states have a volunteer fire department that is staffed mainly by college students and other people looking for work. I don’t see why we can’t have a similar system over here because if the firefighters are volunteer’s then they won’t have to be paid so the government would be saving money. Also, if you allow students of the age of 16 and above to join the fire service as volunteers you will also be keeping teenagers from hanging around street corners, it’s a win win situation!

Allowing teens to join their local fire station as volunteers will also give them essential life skills. Such as teamwork, respect, discipline and the ability to work under pressure. They have this system in America as I have already said and as far as I know, not one fire station has been closed!

Leave a comment and let me know what you think about this idea! I will also leave a link to my other article about station closures below.

Original article about the station closures in London

No comments:

Post a Comment